Wednesday, September 23, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra- a review

“Breaker: Thousand's of miles across and ten stories thick, locating McCullen's base will be like finding a needle in a coal mine.
Ripcord: Haystack.
Breaker: Oh, right haystack in a coal mine.”


*********

Finding a needle in a haystack or coal mine is hard enough, but I can’t see the sense in finding a haystack in a coal mine!

Yes, amidst all the exhilarating action scenes, there are some goofy scenes , and the movie almost got that perfect balance of excitement, fun and adventure that I greatly admire in Transformers 1 and 2. I’d gladly recommend the movie to everyone who loved the Transformers movies for the humor and thrilling action.

Due of personal time constraints, I haven’t watched GI Joe: Rise of the Cobra in the theaters, but I made sure that I’d get to see it soon. Well, I’ve just finished watching the movie, and I say G.I. Joe was a great action-packed adventure, with the graphics and effects are so realistically done. And the cast, the actors are really good. Channing Tatum was definitely gorgeous in that military uniform, and even in that hi-tech suit! Dennis Quaid is still so good-looking despite the age. And I really love the character of Zartan, with all the ease and confidence he sports as he assumes the role of another individual. Arnold Vosloo perfectly portrayed the role of that cool impostor.

I must admit, every second of the movie sends thrill down the spine, it was almost like what I felt when I watched Transformers 1 and 2. Time and time again movies like this really amaze me, because every time I get to see one, the effects get more and more real to me. It really is one great action-packed movie, and no time was wasted on too much dilly-dallying. This is what you can really call “action-filled”! There were a lot of crashes and destruction of buildings, cars, and other stuff, I expected that in a movie like this. But when I saw the Eifel Tower slowly collapsed, I was still stupefied. Of course, it wasn’t true, but I actually thought, “what if that really happens, how would the people react to it?” They’d be flabbergasted too, obviously!

Nearing the end of the movie, I thought everything was already revealed, but then the last scene on the president reminded me that not all bad guys have been caught. The ending of the movie is wickedly cool. I really like Zartan’s character as the perfect impostor. Only his whistling could give him away, but I doubt that too. It gives the feeling that it’s not over yet. Something darker and more dangerous might come.

Are we sensing a part two? Might be. The movie is a good watch. And if there’s part two, I’d want to watch it too. Zartan might be a bigger threat than both McCullen and the genius doctor combined. Oh, I'm anticipating a part two...

For more information on the movie, I suggest you visit the Internet Movie Database.

No comments: